November 23, 2009

All You Need Is Love


Barbara Lea (circa 1973)

Last Saturday marked four years since Barbara Lea passed. She is dearly missed, I know. Mom or "Maman" was an inspiration to so many people around the world. I definitely look up to her, and wouldn't be half the woman I am today without her strength, faith, and love.

Blaise and Dad went up to La Riondaz to visit with her. It looks like a chilly day, but well worth the hike.



I am grateful to all those who keep remembering her, year after year, and celebrating her life. I keep thinking about random things... For example, she used to save up old newspapers and read through them in one sitting (or "lying," because she would read newspapers in bed); she would always let honey drip off her toast; she made the best vanilla pudding; she loved hanging out in sweatpants (until I told her not to); she would keep random notes, bills, and business cards in a duck-shaped woven basket; she would listen to The Rolling Stones and dance in the living room without a care in the world. : )

What do you remember? Leave a comment.

5 comments:

joannaminn said...

I remember how strong she was...full of life...she would be able to down shots and drink with us at the Top Pub, being one of the girls...but then without any hesitation, she can switch into full 'Mom' mode making our measly costumes to become TOP prize for Halloween! Needless to say...everything Barbara was...shines brightly in her daughter...

katie said...

I remember the great foot massages, even with the mustard gas hovering around.-Brent

Unknown said...

I will always remember when she brought this huge pile of pullovers, scarves and blankets to your silly girlfriends who came to Leysin dressed in city clothes and were freezing... I can still picture her climbing the stairs half-hidden by this huge pile of stuff. It was such a sweet and funny moment. :)

Steph said...

I remember going to Gstaad with her in 2005. We were eating lunch and then all of the sudden we saw two giant elephants tromping along the main drag. It was a pretty funny and random moment but one I won't forget. I also remember first time in Leysin and her saying how much she loved the smell of cow dung as we passed the first cow pasture. :-) Love her.

Carrie & Patrick said...

i remember her squeezing my hand three times to tell me she loved me.