September 14, 2011

European Union Visitors Program (EUVP) in Brussels, Belgium

A year and a half ago, I was selected to participate in the European Union Visitors Program (EUVP), an individual 5-day program of meetings with EU officials at the EU institutions in Brussels, Belgium. My visit coincided with three other fellow EUVP participants, Stefanie Westerman (US), Qui Yuanyuan (China), and Ivan Crncec (Croatia). Here, we're having lunch at the EU Parliament with host Vitor Braga da Silva of the EUVP Secretariat.



This is the European Commission, the executive body of the European Union.


And this is the European Parliament, which exercises the legislative function of the EU. Speakers in the European Parliament are entitled to speak in any of the EU's 23 official languages, ranging from English and German to Maltese and Irish.


Of course, I felt it appropriate to deliver a "speech" at the Parliament's hemicycle...


This is the "Tree of Integration" in the Parliament building.


Other interesting sites included remnants of the Berlin Wall in Place du Luxembourg...


Comic strips, a typical Belgian art...


And, Manneken Pis. (I can't believe how small he is!)


Of course, my trip wouldn't have been complete without mussels and French fries at world famous, Chez Léon!


Brussels: I will be back for your delicious candy, cookies, and chocolates!

1 comment:

Ruben said...

Love it. Looks like you had a good time.