A few weeks ago, Scott and I had the pleasure of hosting this young lady, Scott's sister, Amy. We couldn't be more excited, as it gave us an opportunity to do a few road trips across Switzerland's countryside, visit historical landmarks, and eat cheesy meals! Did you know you could side saddle a cow?
There is really no other way to introduce someone to Switzerland than going to La Maison du Gruyère, the House of Gruyère cheese. Of course, the cheese will differ in smell and taste depending on what the cow eats, so how about breathing in different plants, herbs, and flowers! You are what you eat, right?
This is definitely the fanciest cow drinking cup I've ever seen! We take care of our cows, what can I say!?!
A glimpse of the production of the "Gruyère AOC" (Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée)
We also walked through the medieval town of Gruyères, with its cobble stones...
...clinging-vine covered walls...
...close-up...
...and romantic landscapes.
Of course, a trip to Leysin would be incomplete without a walk to the Eagle's Nest, overlooking the Rhône Valley.
We also visited Château de Chillon on Lake Léman (or Geneva), dating back to 1005! [source]
It's in the Chillon Castle dungeon, that Lord Byron wrote the poem, The Prisoner of Chillon (1816).
There are seven pillars of Gothic mould,
In Chillon's dungeons deep and old,
There are seven columns, massy and grey,
Dim with a dull imprison'd ray,
A sunbeam which hath lost its way,
And through the crevice and the cleft
Of the thick wall is fallen and left. [source]
In Chillon's dungeons deep and old,
There are seven columns, massy and grey,
Dim with a dull imprison'd ray,
A sunbeam which hath lost its way,
And through the crevice and the cleft
Of the thick wall is fallen and left. [source]
The fun part of Chillon Castle is its accessibility. Even when it comes to the King's bed! (Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that's an IKEA mattress!)
View from the rooftop!
Amy, thanks for visiting us! Come back soon!

3 comments:
Oh, Jennifer, I can't wait come see you guys and your beautiful country again. Love you always. Kathy
Can I be your next US visitor?
See you in a few weeks! We want to see the castle too.
Post a Comment